Geotrivia - September 2021: countries that border 8 or more countries
24 Sep 2021
welcome to September 2021 #fridaygeotrivia!
As is our tradition, on the final Friday of month on twitter under the hashtag #fridaygeotrivia we run a geotrivia contest. Afterwards we post the answers here on the blog. See past monthly geotrivia questions and answers.
How to play
Anyone can join in, you just need a twitter account. Reply to the question thread on twitter (linked below) using the hashtag #fridaygeotrivia in your answer.
While you can use a map, please do NOT use the internet to just search for an answer. That is cheating and will lead to seriously bad geokarma.
To get full points for an answer it is good form not just to name the relevant country but (if possible) to include the emoji flags of the country (and in ths case the emoji flags of the bordering countries).
Some people have complained the format is a bit chaotic and hard to follow. Yes, the mad chaos is part of the fun. Embrace it. The goal is just to have fun and learn.
#fridaygeotrivia is a game with two prizes:
the sheer joy of geographic knowledge and pedantry.
the bragging rights of getting the answer first.
The September 2021 geotrivia question:
Name countries that share land borders with at least eight other countries.
This question is a bit the opposite of our April geotrivia question, where we asked for countries that border only a single other country.
The Twitter thread:
Ok, time for #fridaygeotrivia! This month's question: name countries that border at least eight other countries. Full details of how to play on the blog: https://t.co/dsB2vEFcle We will use this thread to post answers. Go! pic.twitter.com/dXP1omYR8o— OpenCage Geocoder 👉🌍 (@OpenCage) September 24, 2021
This month’s winner was Dave McLaughlin, who also won back in July. Well done, Dave!
The geotrivia answer:
- Austria (AT): CH, CZ, DE, HU, IT, LI, SI, SK
- Brazil (BR): AR, BO, CO, FR, GY, PE, PY, SR, UY, VE
- China (CN): AF, BT, IN, KG, KP, KZ, LA, MM, MN, NP, RU, PK, TJ, VN
- Democratic Republic of the Congo (CD): AO, BI, CF, CG, RW, SS, TZ, UG, ZM
- France (FR): AD, BE, BR, CH, DE, ES, IT, LU, MC, NL (SX), SR
- Germany (DE): AT, BE, CH, CZ, DK, FR, LU, NL, PL
- Russia (RU): AZ, BY, CN, EE, FI, GE, KP, KZ, LT, LV, MN, NO, PO, UK
- Saudi Arabia (SA): AE, BH, IQ, JO, KW, OM, QA, YE
- Serbia (RS): BA, BG, HR, HU, ME, MK, RO, XK
- Tanzania (TZ): BI, CD, KE, MW, MZ, RW, UG, ZM
- Turkey (TR): AM, AZ, BG, GE, GR, SY, IQ, IR
- Zambia (ZM): AO, BW, CD, MW, MZ, NA, TZ, ZW