Geotrivia - October 2022: new capitals
25 Oct 2022
welcome to the October 2022 edition of #fridaygeotrivia!
As is our tradition, on the final Friday of month we run a geotrivia contest on twitter under the hashtag #fridaygeotrivia. This month we will play on Friday, 28th of October at 14:00 Berlin time, 1pm London time, 8am New York time.
As always, after the game is over we post the answers and winners here on the blog.
For more background on #fridaygeotrivia you may enjoy this recent interview with our friends at Geoawesomeness about the game.
How to play
Anyone can join in, you just need a twitter account. Reply to the question thread on twitter (embedded below) using the hashtag #fridaygeotrivia in your answer.
While you can use a map, please do NOT use the internet to just search for an answer. That is cheating and will lead to seriously bad geokarma.
To get full points for an answer it is good form not just to name the relevant country but (if possible) to include the emoji flags of the country.
Some people have complained the format is a bit chaotic and hard to follow. Yes, the mad chaos is part of the fun. Embrace it. The goal is just to have fun and learn.
#fridaygeotrivia is a game with two prizes:
the sheer joy of geographic knowledge and pedantry.
the bragging rights of getting the answer first.
The October 2022 geotrivia question:
Egypt recently announced the creation of a new capital city, the creatively named New Administrative Capital.
Name other countries that, in the last 50 years, have changed their capital city.
The #fridaygeotrivia twitter thread:
Time for #fridaygeotrivia, this tweet starts the thread. As keen geographers you have no doubt heard that Egypt 🇪🇬 is building a new capital, the delightfully named "New Administrative Capital".— OpenCage Geocoder 👉🌍 (@OpenCage) October 28, 2022
Name other countries that, in last 50 years, moved capital
A hard fought contest, but first place went to Dave McLaughlin, closely followed by Legal Bizzle and Colin Angus, who tied for second.
This month’s geotrivia answer:
- Burundi, from Bujumbura to Gitega
- Egypt, from Cairo to the "New Administrative Capital"
- Federated States of Micronesia, from Kolonia to Palikir
- Germany (Federal Republic), from Bonn to Berlin
- Indonesia, will move from Jakarta to Nusantara
- Ivory Coast, from Abidjan to Yamoussoukro
- Kazakhstan, from Almaty to Nur-Sultan (as it was then known, now Astana)
- Malaysia, from Kuala Lumpur to Putrajaya
- Myanmar, from Yangon to Naypyidaw
- Nigeria, from Lagos to Abuja
- Palau, from Koror City to Ngerulmud
- Sri Lanka, from Colombo to Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
- Tanzania, from Dar es Salaam to Dodoma
- Yemen, from Aden to Sanaa
Thanks for playing,