welcome to the July 2023 edition of #fridaygeotrivia, our a social media geotrivia contest. which took place on Friday, 28th of July 2023 at 18:00 Berlin time, 5pm London time, 12 noon New York time. See how to play below.
The July 2023 geotrivia question:
Name countries that use the postal system of other countries.
An example: Liechtenstein uses the Swiss postal system. Answer can be an entire country or just a part of a country.
As always you need the emoji flag and #fridaygeotrivia hashtag for full points.
#fridaygeotrivia is a game with two prizes:
the sheer joy of geographic knowledge and pedantry.
the bragging rights of getting the answer first.
The #fridaygeotrivia Mastodon thread:
The winner was Mastodon use IIVQ. Congrats!
This month’s geotrivia answer:
- Austria: various pene-exclaves use the German postal system and have German postcodes
- Germany: the Büsingen exclave also uses the Swiss postal system (postcode 2838)
- Guernsey: uses the British postal system (GY postcode area)
- Isle of Man: uses the British postal system (IM postcode area)
- Jersey: uses the British postal system (JE postcode area)
- Liechtenstein: has its own postal system but uses Swiss postal codes 9485-9498
- Marshall Islands: uses the US postal service, state code MH
- Micronesia: uses the US postal service, state code FM
- Monaco: uses the French postal service (postcode 98000)
- Palau: uses the US postal service, state code PW
- San Marino: has its own postal system but is also assigned Italian postcode: 47890-47899
- Vatican: has its own postal system but is also assigned Italian postcode: 00120
How to play
Anyone can join in, you just need a Mastodon account.
Follow us on Mastodon, our account is @email@example.com
When the game starts we will post the question here on the blog and on Mastodon, and will embed the Mastodon question here. We highly recommend using a mastodon client you feel comfortable with. We’ve made the switch to the Elk client and are loving it, but use whatever works for you.
Reply to the question thread on Mastodon (it will be embedded below) using the hashtag #fridaygeotrivia in your answer.
Only one answer per response (don’t stuff multiple answers into a single reply).
Our definiton of “country” is usually (it depends on the question) any place with an ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code. Read more background about ISO and country codes in our guide.
To get full points for an answer it is good form not just to name the relevant country but (if possible) to include the emoji flags of the country.
While you can use a map, please do NOT use the internet to just search for an answer. That is cheating and will lead to seriously bad geokarma.
Some people have complained that the format is a bit chaotic and hard to follow. Yes. The mad chaos is part of the fun. Embrace it. The goal is just to have fun and learn. We win by playing
Thanks for playing,