welcome to December 2021 #fridaygeotrivia!
As is our tradition, on the final Friday of month on twitter under the hashtag #fridaygeotrivia we run a geotrivia contest. Afterwards we post the answers here on the blog. See past monthly geotrivia questions and answers.
How to play
Anyone can join in, you just need a twitter account. Reply to the question thread on twitter (linked below) using the hashtag #fridaygeotrivia in your answer.
While you can use a map, please do NOT use the internet to just search for an answer. That is cheating and will lead to seriously bad geokarma.
To get full points for an answer it is good form not just to name the relevant country but (if possible) to include the emoji flags of the country.
Some people have complained the format is a bit chaotic and hard to follow. Yes, the mad chaos is part of the fun. Embrace it. The goal is just to have fun and learn.
#fridaygeotrivia is a game with two prizes:
the sheer joy of geographic knowledge and pedantry.
the bragging rights of getting the answer first.
The December 2021 geotrivia question:
Name countries (by which we mean places with ISO 3166 alpha-2 codes) whose English language name contains the English language name of another country.
An example: until the 19th century there was a country called Prussia (in English translation). The name Prussia contains Russia. This is just a example of the concept, Prussia is not a modern country and of course has no ISO alpha-2 code. But you get the idea.
To get full points you need to name the country names with emoji flag and the #fridaygeotrivia hash tag.
The #fridaygeotrivia twitter thread:
Here we go! #fridaygeotrivia question is: name countries (by which we mean places with ISO 3166 alpha-2 codes) whose English language name contains the English language name of another country. Emoji flag and hashtag for full points https://t.co/8uZVBuJyhF— OpenCage Geocoder 👉🌍 (@OpenCage) December 31, 2021
This month’s geotrivia answer:
- CG (Republic of the Congo) is in CD (Democratic Republic of the Congo)
- CN (China) is in TW (Republic of China)
- DM (Dominica) is in DO (Dominican Republic)
- GE (Georgia) is in GS (South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands)
- GN (Guinea) is in GQ (Equatorial Guinea), GW (Guinea-Bissau), and PG (Papua New Guinea)
- IE (Ireland) is in GB (United Kingdom of Great Britian and Ireland)
- IN (India) is in IO (British Indian Ocean Territory)
- KR (Republic of Korea) is in KP (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea)
- ML (Mali) is in SO (Somalia)
- NE (Niger) is in NG (Nigeria)
- OM (Oman) is in RO (Romania)
- SD (Sudan) is in SS (South Sudan)
- WS (Samoa) is in AS (American Samoa)
Happy new year!