welcome to August 2021 #fridaygeotrivia!
As is our tradition, on the final Friday of month on twitter under the hashtag #fridaygeotrivia we run a geotrivia contest. Afterwards we post the answers here on the blog. See below for how to play.
The August 2021 geotrivia question:
Name countries whose capital city is not their most populous city
In most countries, the largest city (by population) is the capital. But not all. An example is Brazil, São Paulo is the largest city, Brasília is the capital.
For full credit you need to name the country (with emoji flag), the largest city, and the capital city.
#fridaygeotrivia is a game with two prizes:
the sheer joy of geographic knowledge and pedantry.
the bragging rights of getting the answer first.
The Twitter thread:
ok friends, it's the final Friday of the month and that means time to unwind with #fridaygeotrivia. This month's question - name countries whose capital city is not the most populous city. Example: Brazil 🇧🇷 capital is Brasília, São Paulo is largest pic.twitter.com/RnPa5UHvEI— OpenCage Geocoder 👉🌍 (@OpenCage) August 27, 2021
The geotrivia answer:
- Country / Capital / most populous city
- Australia, Canberra, Sydney
- Belize, Belmopan, Belize City
- Bolivia, Sucre, Santa Cruz de la Sierra
- Brazil, Brasília, São Paulo
- Canada, Ottowa, Toronto
- China, Beijing, Shanghai
- Ecuador, Quito, Santiago de Guayaquil
- India, Delhi, Mumbai
- Ivory Coast, Yamoussoukro, Abidjan
- Kazakhstan, Nur-Sultan, Almaty
- Malta, Valletta, St. Paul's Bay
- Morocco, Rabat, Casablanca
- Myanmar, Naypyidaw, Yangoon
- The Netherlands, The Hague, Amsterdam
- New Zealand, Wellington, Auckland
- Nigeria, Abuja, Lagos
- Pakistan, Islamabad, Karachi
- The Philippines, Manila, Quezon City
- Scotland, Edinburgh, Glasgow
- South Africa, Cape Town/Pertoria/Bloemfontein, Johannesburg
- Sri Lanka, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte and Colombo, Colombo
- Switzerland, Berne, Zürich
- Tanzania, Dodoma, Dar es Salaam
- Turkey, Ankara, Istanbul
- UAE, Abu Dhabi, Dubai
- United States, Washington DC, New York
- Vietnam, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City
How to play
Anyone can join in, you just need a twitter account. Please note - these edition of the game was played long ago - these days we play on Mastodon, not twitter.
Reply to the question thread on twitter (embedded below) using the hashtag #fridaygeotrivia in your answer.
Only one answer per tweet
While you can use a map, please do NOT use the internet to just search for an answer. That is cheating and will lead to seriously bad geokarma.
To get full points for an answer it is good form not just to name the relevant country but (if possible) to include the emoji flags of the country.
Some people have complained the format is a bit chaotic and hard to follow. Yes, the mad chaos is part of the fun. Embrace it. The goal is just to have fun and learn. We win by playing