welcome to the April 2023 edition of #fridaygeotrivia, our a social media geotrivia contest. will take place on Friday, 28th of April 2023 at 18:00 Berlin time, 5pm London time, 12 noon New York time. See how to play below.
The April 2023 geotrivia question:
Name states/provinces that share a name with countries they are not part of
A famous example - “Georgia” is the name of a country and a US state.
Remember: to get the points you need the #fridaygeotrivia hashtag AND the emoji flag of the country. And only one answer per response.
#fridaygeotrivia is a game with two prizes:
the sheer joy of geographic knowledge and pedantry.
the bragging rights of getting the answer first.
The #fridaygeotrivia Mastodon thread:
This month’s geotrivia answer:
- Bolivia, and Bolivar, Ecuador
- Bolivia, and Bolivar, Peru
- Colombia, and British Columbia, Canada
- Georgia, and Georgia, United States
- Guyana, and French Guiana, France
- Guyana, and Región de Guayana, Venezuela
- India, and Indiana, United States
- Ireland, and New Ireland Province, Papua New Guinea
- Ireland, and Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
- Jersey, and New Jersey, United States
- Luxembourg, and Luxembourg, Belgium
- Mali, and Mali Prefecture, Guinea
- Mongolia, and Inner Mongolia, China
- Mexico, and New Mexico, United States
- New Zealand, and Zeeland, Netherlands
- North Macedonia, and Macedonia, Greece
- Pagua New Guinea, and Papua province, Indonesia
- Portugal, and Portuguesa, Venezuela
- Romania, and Rome, Italy
- Serbia, and Republika Srpska, Bosnia and Herzogovina
- Somalia, and Somali Region, Ethiopia
- Spain, and Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
- England, and the New England region, United States
- Scotland, and Nova Scotia, Canada
- Scotland, and New Caladonia, France
- Wales, and New South Wales, Australia
How to play
Anyone can join in, you just need a Mastodon account.
Follow us on Mastodon, our account is @email@example.com
When the game starts we will post the question here on the blog and on Mastodon, and will embed the Mastodon question here. We highly recommend using a mastodon client you feel comfortable with. We’ve made the switch to the Elk client and are loving it, but use whatever works for you.
Reply to the question thread on Mastodon (it will be embedded above) using the hashtag #fridaygeotrivia in your answer.
Only one answer per response (don’t stuff multiple answers into a single reply).
Our definiton of “country” is usually (it depends on the question) any place with an ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code. Read more background about ISO and country codes in our guide.
To get full points for an answer it is good form not just to name the relevant country but (if possible) to include the emoji flags of the country.
While you can use a map, please do NOT use the internet to just search for an answer. That is cheating and will lead to seriously bad geokarma.
Some people have complained that the format is a bit chaotic and hard to follow. Yes. The mad chaos is part of the fun. Embrace it. The goal is just to have fun and learn. We win by playing
Thanks for playing,